The Koutoubia Mosque  is a religious building built in the xii th  century in Marrakech (Morocco) and representative of the art is a true Almohades.Elle architectural masterpiece hispanomauresques influences.
Koutoubia Mosque, or Mosque of the booksellers, was begun under the Berber dynasty of the Almoravids in 1120, but was substantially rebuilt from 1162 Almohad caliph under Abu Yusuf Yaqub al-Mansur, and became one of the most characteristic buildings this style. Its name comes from the fact that it was in the souk manuscripts merchants. It is organized on a plan T. This tradition has existed since the construction of the Great Mosque of Kairouan in the ninth century, and is also found in Spain. This is in fact an Arab plan hypostyle1, that is to say comprising a large courtyard surrounded by a portico and a prayer room with columns. The naves are perpendicular to the qibla wall, the central one being wider.
The Almohad dynasty, which adhered to the Maliki rite, patronized a rather austere architecture, reflecting a certain asceticism. Koutoubia Mosque is no exception: its sobriety is noticed by his count. Employees arcs can be overridden or polylobed but remain naked. The minaret is later (completion in 1196), is more decorated: we especially note important work of interlaced arches (sebka). It is topped by three golden balls of copper that symbolize the three mosques of Islam Kaaba (Mecca), Medina, and Jerusalem. He served, among others, as a model for the Giralda in Seville. The outdoor setting of the minaret is different on the four sides: painting on plaster floral and epigraphic ornaments, network interlacing in relief where the paintings are intercalated, earthenware panel with white net on turquoise background, sometimes intertwined arches. It is constructed of native sandstone slate quarries of Guéliz. Beautifully proportioned: 12,80 aside for 69 height with the lantern (77 m to the tip of the arrow), with an exterior wall of 2.50 m. In the center of the tower, an outer core contains six superimposed rooms. Around it, a gently sloping ramp leading to the walkway. The platform is surrounded by a walkway protected by a railing jagged battlements. The lantern, 16 m high, appears as a second minaret set on the first. It is surmounted by a metal rod to which are attached four golden balls of decreasing size, the largest of 6 m in diameter. They are made of gilded copper plates riveted together.

Learn more about Koutoubia Mosque


At the top of the minaret of the Koutoubia mosque, there are three overlapping balls with a diameter decreasing symbolize Earth, Water and Fire.